Tuesday, March 2, 2010

At least he's seeing something

We had the appointment with the Visual Impairment Clinic yesterday. They put Kenny WAY below the chart for sight....but having said that he is seeing something. There is hope at this point that he will makes gains as to what he see's. We just need to give him the opportunities for his brain to see things. So in doing that I have printed off the contrasty types of things that babies thrive on looking at. I'm just happy that I didn't hear that he's seeing NOTHING. I think that after last week that would have really put me over the edge. His sight is at .25 of what the chart that they use, and I can't remember what normal sight for his age was...I do believe that it was around +1....but I could be wrong on that. The dr was so helpful, and supportive and even wants to take a look at Kristen. Just to see how she's doing with her sight. She has a similar injury in her visual portion of her brain as well. She has a Nysagmus as well...and if he can 'classify' her as visually impaired it will just put her at a higher rating in the school system along with her hearing loss. I have come to a big head in the road and journey....these words (diagnosis') are just that, words. I've always known that and said it, but I think that there has become a bigger acceptance on my part that it doesn't define WHO my children are. People constantly say how strong i am, and how great I handle it...but inside I do cry and hurt. But then I look over at the screaming children beside me yelling at eachother, and know it's normal...lol. We have great supports in place and people that truly understand, or take a real hard attempt at trying to understand. And they love all of my kids unconditionally. I think that I'm rambling now...lol...and I'm not sure if this all makes sense, but it's off my brain, and I can now focus on other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment