Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Does one take it personnaly??

With the socialization of Facebook, Twitter, and Blogging and of course everything between how do we take things that people do or say. It's so hard because we have closed the size of the world to a computer screen. We are meeting people all over the world that have the same/similar issues as we do with our kids. We are there to support each other in so many ways!
Now here's my situation. I have followed a blog for a while now...I do believe close to two years. I found this family on Facebook so that we could chat at a deeper level. This child was born with CDH just like Kristen was. I really enjoyed the correspondance that went back and forth between us! The ECMO, the coming home, the feeding issues, the growth etc. For some reason today I somehow realized that I hadn't seen any of the status updates from this person in awhile. So I searched them out. and sure enough, we are no longer 'friends'. I have no idea why, but that's fine. I understand as I like to 'prune' my friends list all of the time! I don't need 500 friends that I only keep on there to have 500 friends. Especially when I send a "how are you" message and hear nothing back. I don't have the time for that. So anyways, I went to check their blog, and for some reason they have changed that too, and now I cannot access there as well. Usually, I don't care. But I really felt a connection with this family. Now, please note, due to demographic's, I would probably NEVER actually meet them face to face. So how does one take this now in today's 'Facebook' way of socializing? I know realistically that I shouldn't be offended, but should I?
I am happy with the contact's and friends that I have now, but should someone let me know why they are removing me??....realistically I don't tell people when I remove them from my page either...so who knows?

3 comments:

  1. Wait wait... should I be offended that you HAVEn't found me on FB now? Just kidding. =)

    I think if I noticed that I had been pruned from someone I really had that much of a connection with I would probably have hurt feelings as well. A high school acquaintance or old old co-worker? Eh... not as much. I probably wouldn't even notice.

    Though, I don't delete 'friends' because I don't want them to be hurt... who knows, maybe it was an accident? I know people who have sent notes to find out which seems silly but in this case they were messing with their settings and it really was an accident!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I am a mom to a right-sided CDH survivor, and I follow your blog and your amazing family. I follow all the CDH blogs I can find because the ones older than Dakota give me ideas and hope, the ones the same age as Dakota give me comfort and comraderie, and the ones younger, I try to give hope to and I pray for. Anyways, I have noticed lately that a few blogs I always followed just made their blogs private, with no warning. It honestly felt like I was losing a friend. The only thing I can think is that sometimes people want to move on from CDH and not have it define their life or their child's life anymore. I don't agree because I think it is important to raise awareness and I think our babies should be proud of where they started, but I understand the idea. That is how I don't take offense. Thank you for sharing your story of your adorable kids!!!
    Hugs,
    Jennifer
    Mom to Dakota 12-25-2008
    RCDH survivor
    jennifertrafton@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Shannon, you can find me with the link on the upper corner of my blog...lol! And I do agree with you Jennifer. I get that a lot of people want to move on from the CDH, but i do feel like you become a part of a family. And it makes me feel great to have Kristen be a great hope for the little one's just joining us! I know that when I went through it all, I shut my life out to anyone that wanted to support, and I feel now that I really could have used the help at the time! I don't really take offense to being blocked out, it's just that I didn't understand. But I do at the same time. I was just more curious that if the way that we all socialize now, is making the social aspect of things different. Well we do know it is. But it's also bringing the supports that we need closer to eachother!!! I am happy to have FB and blogging for this reason! I love to follow the blogs and I do cry when a baby earns their wings, but I also cry when I hear a baby has finally gone home!

    ReplyDelete