Sunday, July 11, 2010

Surgery finished

Hopefully this will be the only intervention that we will have to do for Kenny with his hydrocephalus. They did perform the ETV proceedure on Friday afternoon. He went through the surgery just fine. Recovery was just fine. The leak that he sprung...not so cool. I noticed once we were on the ward in our room that there was fluid seeping out of his wound. They said that it was the spray anteseptic that they put on. I wasn't convinced. I mentioned it to the nurse, do they see this often. Yes they see it sometimes. Ok, sure. So I put him to sleep, and two hours later, I woke him up to feed him. Well his whole head had a puddle under it. I buzzed the nurse, turns out my buzzer was broken, but she happened to be right there. And I said I think that he's sprung a leak. Needless to say, 2 hours later he was back in the OR, just because of the lights and sterile environment, and they re-stitched his incision. If it didn't stop leaking, we would be left no choice but a shunt. Now that was risky because they found a new bleed in the front of his brain, and they can't shunt safely with those condtions.

So back he came to the room. No leaks. The next morning, oh geeze, I noticed a bit of wet on his bandaid. Small leak. More observations. It did stop and they did let us go at about 1:30pm. So now, today, being Sunday, two days after surgery. He is so much more awake, so much happier, he's moving more, he's happy in his carseat!!! now we just pray that this works and the fluid will no longer be an issue. Of course I'm paranoid of infection, and more leakage, and just him being ok. But I guess that will stop when, well I will never stop worrying for any of my kids!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Bobby, you are the strongest Mommy I know. Praying that Kenny doesn't leak any more and that this will be the last surgery he needs. So happy that he was so happy and moving around more. God is so good. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete