Thursday, April 16, 2009

Mapping tomorrow!

We get to get some new MAPS for Kristen's ear tomorrow. (Kristen has a cochlear implant and these are just new programs to help fine tune what she's hearing) I'm excited, because after the last visit, she did so amazing as far as vocalizing, and comprehension.

I had a bit of a down moment on Tues while I was at the Dr's office. I have never thought or allowed Kristen's hearing loss to be a deficit. I have never thought that there is anything that she couldn't do like you and me. Just she has hearing equipment to wear. Well she brought me a play stethascope at the dr's office. I thought, this would be a good idea to get her one so that she won't scream when the dr's come at her with one! Then I went to put it on her....and realized...she can't use this. I know it's a toy, and I still put it on her, but it got me thinking! Could she use real ones??!! Could she be a Dr or Nurse when she grows up??!! It's the first time that I found something that she may not be able to do. It made me sad for the first time that she has hearing loss.

With technology the way it is, she can hear up to a mild loss. So she basically can hear everything like you and me! She can use the phone, listen to MP3 player's, or anything portable like DVD's! But she couldn't use a stethascope! I wonder if there are deaf dr's or nurses out there that work around this??!!

1 comment:

  1. Funny, I have thought about this too...although one of the resident doctors at Children's Hospital Boston (when Thomas was there to get his implant last August) was bilaterally implanted!!!! Of course at the time, I didn't think to ask him how it works with a stethascope, but he must be able to use one! Pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete