Saturday, December 5, 2009

2 years hearing

Two years ago today, Kristen was activated with her Cochlear Implant. She heard me say her name again for the first time. Kristen lost her hearing at about 6 mths old. It was confirmed at a sedated ABR when she was 7.5 mths old. It was routine scanning due to ECMO and high frequency ventilation. It also could have been all of the different life saving med's that she needed as well. Without this life saving measures she wouldn't be here with us today. She may be deaf, but she's alive. And as I meet, read about, and hear about these CDH babies that don't make it, trust me, I don't take for granted that my baby is here. She's almost 4 years old now, and I'm so lucky to have her. We may have challenges all related back to her rough start at life, but we survive and we make it.

Kristen has just begun to have expressive language as well. We have worked for sooooo long on signing! I mean really! Since we got diagnosis! So now going into three years! And she now has about 10 signs. YAY!! And she's also begun to have spoken words too! 10-20!! I know it's not as quick as a typical CI canidate, but I take what I can get, and celebrate the small steps each day. It's almost like because she has to work so much harder to get the small milestones that a 'normal' kid does, that it seems that much more exciting because she has truely worked hard for it!

Well Kristen, my baby girl! Here's to a happy two years of happy listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment